The Templer Home for the Aged was founded by the Temple Society Australia, a non-dogmatic Christian, religious society which evolved from the Lutheran Church in Germany in 1861 and has remained independent ever since. The Home began operation in 1972 and is a registered charity.
The Temple Society Australia (TSA) and the Australian German Welfare Society (AGWS) after consultation with other German church groups agreed to jointly build and operate a nursing home on a piece of land owned by the TSA next to The Templer Home for the Aged.
The name Tabulam was chosen for its relation to but slightly different meaning in 3 of Australia’s many Aboriginal languages – ‘my home’, ‘our camp’, ‘our resting place’ and ‘our watering hole’.
After many years of planning, fundraising, finding a patron, commissioning an architect, getting the approval to build and having the Commonwealth government funding come through for 30 beds, the Foundation Stone ceremony was held. The building was declared completed in July 1981 meeting the need for an environment to cater for the frail elderly from a German speaking background and those who identify themselves with the German culture. The parent associations for Tabulam Nursing Home consisted of the Australian German Welfare Society Inc. and the Temple Society Australia.
Tabulam had 30 residents and was 8 years old.
The first computers were installed.
TTHA was the first aged care facility to go online and have its own website. By 2008 it had grown to a network of 18 computers.
Tabulam was modernised and expanded to include extra Day rooms thereby offering more activities.
Tabulam was combined with the until then independent Templer Altersheim, a new wing named Warrina. It was decided to connect the two with a modernised building and the number of residents remained at 84.
Tabulam Nursing Home and Templer Homes for the Aged merged to form one Residential Aged Care Facility and Retirement Village offering “Ageing in Place”.
A further wing, Otto Löebert, was built adding a further 34 beds to the home. The independent Retirement Village was expanded by 6 apartments and 4 units and in 2008 another 3 units were added.
TTHA was granted government funding for a further 36 beds and immediately began construction on the Warrina Nursing Home which was opened for use in 2008.
TTHA received 10 HCP packages and this was further expanded in 2010 by 10.
A further 3 units were built bringing TTHA’s number of Independent Living Units to 33 and apartments to 8.
A new hostel was built at the back of Tabulam to accommodate our International Volunteers.
The TSA and AGWS signed a Strategic Relationship Agreement (SRA) that changed the role of the partied in the TTHA operation. TTHA is now fully owned by the TSA with the AGWS remaining involved at Board level to maintain the AGWS’ support for the home.
The Templer Journey
Based on a series of oral history interviews in 2011-2012 with seven members of the Temple Society who were born between 1918 and 1934 in the Templer settlements in then Palestine, this film tells the unique migration story of the German-speaking Templers in their own words. Their life journeys took them across several continents and included internment during World War II and transportation to Australia. Unable to return to their adopted homeland they eventually settled in the eastern suburbs of Melbourne.
Visit www.templesociety.org.au for further details.